Peer Review Procedure
| What is peer review and why is it important?
Peer review is defined as the "critical assessment of manuscripts submitted to journals by experts who are not part of the editorial staff." Ninety-one percent of authors think that peer review improved the quality of their article. Reviewer's help authors hone key points, identify and resolve errors, and generate new ideas. Peer review ensures the integrity of science by excluding invalid or low-quality research.
| Pre-refereeing stage
Upon receiving a new manuscript, the editorial office conducts initial pre-refereeing checks to ensure the article is legible, complete, correctly formatted, original, within the scope of the journal in question, in the style of a scientific article and written in clear English. Articles passing successfully through the pre-refereeing stage then begin formal peer review.
| Refereeing stage
The journal editor invites reviewers who are experts in your article's subject matter to evaluate the article and provide feedback. Reviewers comment on a variety of points such as whether the study is well designed or if the results are too preliminary. The reviewers' feedback informs the editor's decision on whether to accept or reject the article. Red Flower Publication policy requires at least two qualified reviewers evaluate a submitted article before the editor can reach a decision.
The most common types of peer review are single-blind and double-blind review. In single-blind, the names of the reviewers are not shared with the author but the reviewers are aware of the author's identity. In double-blind, neither the author nor the reviewers are aware of each others' identity. In both models, the anonymity of the reviewer ensures that the reviewer can give an honest and impartial evaluation of the article. Most Red Flower Publication publications use the double-blind review format.
| What are editors and reviewers looking for?
- During the peer review process, editors and reviewers are looking for:
- Scope: is the article appropriate for this publication?
- Novelty: is this original material distinct from previous publications?
- Validity: is the study well designed and executed?
- Data: are the data reported, analyzed, and interpreted correctly?
- Clarity: are the ideas expressed clearly, concisely, and logically?
- Compliance: are all ethical and journal requirements met?
- Advancement: is this a significant contribution to the field?
Red Flower Publication is committed to publishing high-quality material in its journals and most journals have quite high rejection rates, typically above 50%. Papers referees deem to be technically sound, but of limited interest, are usually rejected.
| Use of an arbitrator
If the referees' reports are not in agreement, the paper and the reports are sent to an independent arbitrator (often a member of the journal's Editorial Board) who is first asked to form their own opinion of the paper and then to read the referees' reports and adjudicate between them. A decision is then made based on the arbitrator's recommendation. If a referee is overruled by an arbitrator, we will normally notify the referee of this.
Peer Review System
| Features of electronic peer review system
- Reproduces the functions of an editorial office on the web
- Individualized password-protected area for each authority (Author, Reviewer, Editor and Staff)
- Automated email notifications and reminders
- Double-blind peer review
- MEDLINE links for editors and referees
- Handles manuscripts up to the stage of proofs and web-publishing
- Platform independence � requires web-browser and internet connection only, no need of any special software or computer resources
| Advantages of web-based manuscript processing
- Accessibility from any PC
- No �normal business hours�: Articles can be received and processed at any hour of the day
- Faster clerical work
- Reduced submission-decision time
- Reduced postage/printing cost
- Less enquiries from authors as they themselves can check and track the submitted articles
- Easy record maintenance and performance tracking
- Facilitates the use of the best referees and not just the nearest
- Global authorship: Ease of submission for authors across the globe
- Collaboration with editors located in different parts of the country or outside the country
- Ease of alliance with the publisher or printer located at a different place
| Unique features
- Mobile text / SMS alerts
- Reference checking
- Plagiarism check
- CME questions
- CTR number
- Single blind / double blind options
- Multimedia files
- Author side fee processing